Certified Police Officer
Position title: Patrol Officer
Entry Level: Yes
Job Type: Full-Time
Required Travel: 0 – 10%
Opening Date: 05/14/2018
Closing Date: Until Filled
PLEASE NOTE: It is important that your application is completed entirely and legibly. Any incomplete application will be rejected, and no consideration will be given to the application.
Summary: Under supervision, provides professional, responsible and courteous police services for the Town of Combes; responds to calls for service, enforces laws and ordinances, prevents crime and maintains peace and public order in the community; basic duties include patrol, investigations, traffic regulation, and other duties as assigned to support the Police Department’s mission and goals.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Enforces state and federal laws, and Town ordinances; identifies, prevents and terminates unlawful activities using experience and technical training; performs duties according to CPD policies to preserve the peace, solve problems, and provide the highest quality police services; duties will vary according to job assignment.
- Patrols the Town, looking for unusual and suspicious activities and persons; recognizes criminal activities and suspects, and uses reasonable cause to stop vehicles and initiate contact with persons of interest.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency calls for service; investigates, documents
and resolves citizen complaints, traffic incidents, crimes, and dangerous and illegal
activities; interrogates and communicates with victims, witnesses and suspects in cases;
provides scene security for emergency services personnel.
- Responds to citizen’s request for assistance, enforce traffic regulations and safety issues,
apprehends violators and assures public safety; applies laws and regulations fairly and
- Investigates crimes and accidents; secures and processes crime and accident scenes, and
identifies and collects evidence; arrests law violators; transports and processes suspects,
victims and prisoners.
- Provides community-oriented police services, and improves the quality of life in
partnership with the community; works with citizens to address the issues of safety,
crime, crime prevention and neighborhood problems; assures citizens are treated with
courtesy and respect for individual liberties.
- Preserves the peace of the community through mediation, investigation, intervention,
assistance, and arrest; utilizes all lawful means to improve the quality of life by
recognizing and resolving problems.
- Completes detailed reports and required paperwork; testifies in court as directed.
- Maintains CPD vehicles and equipment according to Department standards.
- Assists and coordinates with other emergency services personnel, regional organizations
and businesses, and federal, state and local law enforcement organizations.
- Maintains the integrity, professionalism, values, and goals of the Combes Police
Department by assuring that all rules and regulations are followed, and that
accountability and public trust are preserved.
- Supports the departmental operations with regular and timely attendance.
- Supports the relationship between the Town of Combes and the general public by
demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and
Town staff; maintains the confidentiality of work-related issues and Town information;
performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be of good moral character.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- A valid Texas State Driver’s License required.
- Must have a current Texas Peace Officer’s license issued by the Texas Commission on
Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
- Must be able to pass a background investigation, psychological evaluation, physical
evaluation, and drug screening.
- No conviction(s) for any felony; driving while intoxicated; driving under the influence of
drugs; assault involving family violence or any crime involving moral turpitude.
- Veterans must have an honorable/general under honorable circumstances discharge; must
not have been convicted in any court-martial.
- Special Knowledge/Skills:
- Ability to read and write in the English language.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office Suite.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Knowledge of criminal, civil, juvenile and traffic laws and regulations
(This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary)
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk
or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; run; use hands to finger,
handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance;
stoop, kneel, crouch; or crawl, and taste or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision
abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- (This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary)
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside
The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high precarious
places; with firearms; is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or
airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, and vibration.
The work environment is usually moderate.
Employees of the Town of Combes are provided:
- Health Insurance (with optional dependent coverage)
- Paid Vacation
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Pay
- TMRS Retirement
- Longevity Pay
- Peace Officer Certification Pay (based on Intermediate, Advanced, Master PO certification)
- Civilian Education Incentive Pay (based on college degree held and verification of college
The Town of Combes Police Officers receive pay increases every 12 months of continuous
service up to 36 months. After 36 months of continuous service pay increases are based on
Base Salary (benefits not included in base salary): $25,364.43 – $31,792.14
How to Apply
Download the application Application_Personal_History_Statement
Applications must be submitted to the Town of Combes Police Department. Applications are
available from and returnable to: Town of Combes, Administrative Assistant, P.O. Box 280,
21626 Hand Rd. Combes, Texas 78535. The application can be found on our website at
www.townofcombes.com and returned to Town of Combes, Administrative Assistant, P.O. Box
280, 21626 Hand Rd. Combes, Texas 78535. Any questions regarding the application should be
directed to Administrative Assistant Alexandra Aguilar.